My policies regarding image use depend on context, as follows:
Once downloaded the image is your own for personal use only and is classed as being under a “Personal License”.
Photographer or videographer (“Content Provider”) grants buyer a non-exclusive perpetual personal-use license to download and copy the accompanying image(s) or video(s) (collectively, “Media,”) subject to the following restrictions:
- This license is for personal use only. Personal use means non-commercial use of the Media for display on personal websites and computers, or making image prints or video copies for personal use. The Media may not be used in any way whatsoever in which you charge money, collect fees, or receive any form of remuneration. The Media may not be used in advertising. The Media may not be resold, re-licensed, or sub-licensed.
- Title and ownership, and all rights now and in the future, of and for the Media remain exclusively with the Content Provider.
- There are no warranties, express or implied. The Media are provided ‘as is.’
- The Content Provider will not be held liable for any third party claims or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this license or buyer’s use of the Media.
Please follow the guidelines set out below for use of images in any context other than personal use covered in the “Personal License” agreement shown above:
Images may be licensed for commercial use and classed as being under a “Commercial License”. If you are ordering multiple images, or would like a rights-managed contract, please contact me with the details of your requirements and project and we can discuss details according to context. Examples of commercial use include: company web pages, product labels, books, merchandise, magazines, most apps, and educational products.
License fees vary depending on the use, but generally fall between £25 and £250 per image.
What you can do:
Photographer or videographer (“Content Provider”) grants you a perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide license to use the accompanying image(s) or video(s) (collectively, “Media,”) for permitted commercial purposes, defined as:
- advertising, promotion, brochures, packaging
- as part of a commercial website for promotional purposes (maximum 800×600 pixels) use
- prints, posters, flyers, tear-sheets for promotional purposes (not for resale)
- prints, posters, or other commercial display of Media
- magazines, books, newspapers, other printed publications
- video, broadcast, theatrical
What you may not do:
Buyer may not resell, re-license, redistribute without express written permission from Content Provider. Use as a derivative work, and reselling or redistributing such derivative work is prohibited. Media may not be used in a pornographic, obscene, illegal, immoral, libelous or defamatory manner. Media may not be incorporated into trademarks, logos, or service marks. Media may not be made available for download.
Content Provider retains all rights, license, copyright, title and ownership of the Media.
There is no warranty, express or implied, with the purchase of this digital image or video file. The Content Provider will not be liable for any claims, or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this license or buyer’s use of the Media.
Registered non-profit organisations may be able to license my work at discounted rates, or free of charge, depending on the context of use. Contact me for an estimate; prior permission is required.
Educational classroom use by students, teachers, and researchers is free of license fees, strongly encouraged. If the project involves posting photographs on the internet, images must be accompanied by a visible image credit and a link back to www.unseen-universe.co.uk. Citing sources is good academic practice after all!
Participants of academic conferences are welcome to use my photographs in presentations and posters. I require images to be accompanied by a credit. See “Classroom use”.
Journal Articles/Technical Papers
In most cases, use of my work in the primary scientific literature is free of license fees. However, a small number of journals have copyright policies that are incompatible with my policies, so please contact me to obtain permission.
Social Media – Commercial
Use of my photographs in social media (facebook, blogs, twitter, etc.) by commercial entities is the same as “Commercial Use” (above) and requires a licensing agreement.
Social Media – Personal
People acting in a personal capacity are welcome to share my photographs on blogs, web pages, and social media accounts without prior permission, provided that all images are accompanied by a link back to www.unseen-universe.co.uk. Failure to attribute an image properly may result in a take-down notice to the web host.
Prior permission is required to copy all or parts of my photographs in derivative artworks. Some adaptations I may consider to be Fair Use, others will require a formal licensing agreement. The only way to be sure is to ask.
Copyright Infringement Policy
Unauthorised uses of my copyrighted images and text are subject to DMCA take-down requests without advance notice.